Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I love life and life loves me!

Ohhhh how I enjoyed my  quilting class!  Our teacher Annie was such a joy, so patient, kind and the time flew by!!  Izzie came with me to our first class so she could pick out the fabric for the quilt and I could get her input and she could help me out.  Some good Mommy and daughter time :).
I was so consumed in my craftiness induced bliss I forgot to take pictures during the beginning! Here are some of my first pictures of absolute joy...
001 
002
003
Ohhh it's getting exciting!! 
004
Setting these aside... thinking about using the fabric for the border and bright pink for choice of ric rac! Izzie's favorite fabric she chose had some pink in it she kept talking about along with her second favorite was pink.  What a fun choice to make some of her favorites pop!
I finished the border at home.... (the blackish gray fabric with black dots)...
Annie being the oh so nice and amazing teacher that she is.... invited me to come into the shop while she was working.  We picked the backing fabric (on sale, score!), sewed the back fabric together to the width and length needed, grabbed the batting and Annie showed me how to attached all three layers together to prepare to baste (sew) all three layers together.
005
Whew all three layers safety pinned together ready to sew!
006 
With Annie's advice I decided to sew the inside of the quilt with hot pink thread and then switch when doing the border to black.  She showed me how to do the beginners diamond pattern and off I went to begin my adventure some more at home.  I was determined to finish this up before I left for Boise (two days later) where we would be celebrating CJ's, Little A's and Izzie's birthday's as a family.
Got the diamond pattern sewn! Whew... now to sew the ric rac around the edge between the outside border and the blocks.
007 
Son of  a ..... don't you hate it when that happens!  Luckily I had bought the exact same ric rac for a skirt for Izzie that I hadn't used yet.  Cut a few inches off and problem solved.   whew. 
Removed the extra batting and fabric now it's time to attach the binding.  I was super confused as to how to do the corners of the quilt.... YouTube to the rescue!  Oh my how I love technology... can't tell you how many times the internet has saved me.
woo!
Now to do the not so enjoyable part.  Hand sew around the entire edge of the binding to attach it to the quilt to be finished.
008 
Look!! I finished!! 
Ta-da!
I was soooo excited.  I was so happy I couldn't stop smiling, giggling and showing Aaron for his praise!  I think I surprised myself that I finished it in the time I set out to finish it.  Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it and don't give up.
009
Check it out!
010
My dad holding it up at the family birthday party (that post is scheduled to post in two days!) Izzie was shocked and looked so happy!  Izzie: "I was really excited you finished it! I was really surprised you finished it because your machine broke.  My favorite part is the pattern on the front.  I like the fabric on the back too!  Mommy, I love the whole thing"
Awe. Melt a mama's heart. Seriously.

I love life and life loves me.

XOXO



Previous Comments:

Annie - Aimee! I am so proud and excited! It is beautiful and you're one talented lady. Thanks for the compliments about my teaching, however, you are the one who did a great job! Happy Belated birthday to Izzie! Big Hug, Annie

Ame - Yay! Thanks for the compliments Annie :) Loved your class... might have to take another one soon!

Jamie - Yay!! It's beautiful!

Ame - Thanks Jaime!! :) Can't wait to see your finished project.

No comments:

Post a Comment